Question:
What kind of snowboarding gear should/do i need?
Garrett
2009-10-27 10:27:13 UTC
ok so im probably getting either a burton indie or vapor not sure yet, im getting my bindings and boots as well but what else do i need? what kind of jacket and pants? anything under them? do i have to wear a helmet or can i just wear a beanie? what kind of goggles and gloves ect!
Six answers:
2009-10-27 12:04:27 UTC
ha kid don't waste your money on the most expensive pile of garbage, and yes I mean the vapor. That thing is overpriced by a good 400 bucks... but hey it's burton that's what they do. Try these brands for quality.

GNU

libtech

Omatic

Stepchild

Capita

Neversummer

K2

Forum

Rome

Bataleon

Avoid pretty much all the brands sold at those big retail stores "D&icks,sports check,sports authority,big 5 ect ect". Pretty much all the brands sold there "5150,Lamar,LTD,Sims,morrow" are low end garbage decks that any boarder planning to go a lot shouldn't bother buying, They'll only end up holding you back.

As for specific boards, without the type of riding you're looking to do "Freestyle,Allmountain,Freeride" that would be impossible for me to recommend for you :P.

and you don't have to wear a helmet, well some mountains require you to if you plan on riding the park. It's usually wise to wear one anyways, but if you don't want to I would find out if your mountain requires them in the park or not before hand :P.

As for the clothing just look at the tech specs, if you ride often in cold conditions look to stay above 10k on waterproofing and breathability, and look for fully tapered seams on the gloves, you'll probably want to have atleast one layer of thermals on underneath them.

clothing brands I would check out.

686

grenade

sessions

special blend

foursquare

Airblaster

Nomis
2009-10-27 10:39:11 UTC
Whoa - Don't drop a ton of money on a snowboarding jacket and pants unless you're really into it. It's probably more important that you bring extra of everything than it is for you to have the nicest of everything.

Jacket - Get something with a water resistant shell and a hood. Anything that will keep out wind will usually work well to shed powder

Pants - Water resistant - a lot of people just wear wind breaker pants with thermal underwear under them. I've rocked insulated Carhearts without any trouble. Just find something that won't suck up a bunch of water when the snow gets watery

Goggles - it's probably more important to have an extra pair along than to buy anything expensive. I have a pair of smiths that I bought of 20 bucks that have outlasted every nicer, expensive pair, that I've got. Just find something that's tinted and that fits your face nice.

Helmets are nice to have - you can usually find one that don't look too geeky. If you want to do any serious riding then you'll need one. If you're going to drop coin, do it on a nice helmet that you like.
Kam
2009-10-27 11:42:50 UTC
Get any jacket you like as long as it has a waterproof rating of at least 10k. You can either get one with insulation or a shell which has no insulation. If you get a shell then you need to wear a sweater underneath on cold days. Get any pants you like as long as they have that 10k rating. Get thermals for stormy days and always bring them with you incase the weather changes. You dont need a helmet unless your trying flips, otherwise just wear a beanie. Get Gor-tex gloves, I prefer mine with a little insulation and my favorite brand for gloves is Dakine. As for the Goggles, any brand will do. I personally like Electric, spy, and Von Zipper. You can get different lenses for different conditions such as sunny, cloudy, and stormy days. A bronze or grey would be a good all around lens. If youre night riding then you would want a clear or yellow or red lens. Basically the brighter the sky the darker the lens, the darker the sky the brighter the lens.
WiL Doolittle
2009-10-27 11:01:13 UTC
first off, dont buy a burton right off the bat. they are very expensive, and very overated. if you want a cheaper, nice board, look for a GNU, Forum, or K2. bindings are also important. You def want to buy good guality bindings, because i find they are very important to your riding, and the cheap ones usually break after a season or two. dont use shoes, buy boots! shoes look ridiculous, and they risk foot injury. I like burton boots. but everyone has brands they prefer. you dont need a coat depending on where you live. if ur snowboarding in maine, or vermont, or colorada, etc., you can just use hoodies. BEWARE, the bigger mountains are freezing. But, you def want pants. you Bonfire, and Foursquare make good quality pants for pretty cheap. you can probably find a pair of black or white ones for about 80-110 bucks. GET GLOVES! get water resistant gloves, that arent very thick. I suggest regular gloves, not mittens. Forum and Grenade make excellent gloves. Now for your head, buy cheap goggles. you can get Smiths for 20 bucks. They last long, and work pretty good. honestly, the biggest use for my goggles is to hold my hat on. I bought a pair of Oakleys last year for 85 bucks and they broke the 3rd time out. You don't need a helmet, but if ur not very good, and you find trouble balancing, buy a decently cheap one, just for while you learn. I never wore one, and i never hurt my head. and i am sponsored for freestlye. thats my advice, hoped i helped.

by the way, a good place to buy stuff is off proboardshop.com or the-house.com They have good prices and good stuff, its where i got all my stuff.
?
2016-05-22 08:37:36 UTC
if your just starting chin height is fine. if ur planing on doing somethings more than others you may want to change it up a bit. freestyle boards are shorter so they can be moved around easier fro tricks. if you live near some big mountains you want a longer board for riding in the powder. as far as width it depends on 1: boot size, if you've got big feet and a skinny board your gonna have problems. 2: handling thinner boards tend to be a Little quicker to respond on hard snow. and 3: if you are gonna ride in alot of powder wider boards move alot better. you will also need boots. the only variations in a good pair of boots is stiffness. stiffer boots respond faster as far as handling but softer boot are gonna give you help if you dont have the best balance. personally i like soft boots, but you gotta find what you like
Tin Tizzy
2009-10-27 10:36:01 UTC
doesn't really matter whatever you like...get a coat with an inner removable liner though for hot days...gloves with good rubber grip for rope tows...no helmet unless you really suck or are doing tricks